The following information has been prepared to help answer any questions you may have regarding the
procedure. Download PDF (Please read the instructions carefully)
- Peridex: Rinse with 15mL (1/2 oz.) for 30 seconds every 12 hours (twice a day), until the sutures have been removed. (Start 1 day before sinus graft and continue until Dr. Nejat informs you to stop).
- Ibuprophen: Take one (600mg) tablet every 6-8 hours until finished.
- A twelve hour antihistamine and decongestant tablet must be used: (e.g., Drixoral Cold and Allergy
Formula, Contact Continuous Action Decongestant/Antihistamine capsules). Take one tablet one hour
prior to surgery and continue to take one tablet every 12 hours (total of two tablets per day) for 10 days.
- Antibiotics:(Take medication as prescribed on the bottle)
- There may be occasional bleeding for the first couple of days. This is not unusual and will correct
itself. If there is considerable bleeding beyond this, take a piece of gauze or a moist tea bag and form a
“U” shape. Hold it under gentle pressure for 10 minutes. Repeat if necessary. Do not remove it during
this period to examine it. Under no conditions should rinsing be used to try to stop the bleeding! If the
bleeding does not stop, call Dr. Nejat at 917-287-1179 for proper instructions. In addition, you may note
bloodstains on your pillow for the first few mornings after surgery. Do not be alarmed as this is a result
of rubbing your tongue over the wound while sleeping and the blood mixing with saliva. Nose bleeding
may occur after the procedure. To stop bleeding apply pressure with gauze to your nostril. To avoid bleeding, do not blow your nose for the first week.
- Swelling is to be expected. To help keep the swelling down place ice on the outside of the face (5
min. on & 5 min. off) for 24-48 hours after the procedure. In addition, keep your head elevated above
your heart. An extra pillow should be used during the first two nights after the procedure to reduce
swelling. After 2 days, place a warm compress on the outside of the face (5min. on & 5min. off), until
the swelling decreases.
- If there are teeth present in other areas of your mouth clean them with your toothbrush as you usually
do; however, avoid contact with the surgical wound.
- If you have removable denture appliances they may not be worn until Dr. Nejat has checked or
adjusted your appliance. Insertion of dentures too early may jeopardize the healing process.
- You should be on a regular diet. However, avoid seeded and hard foods until af ter the sutures have
been removed. Consumption of alcoholic beverages & smoking is not allowed for two weeks as it will
jeopardize the success of the surgery.
If you experience problems with the surgical area please call Dr. Nejat at 917-287-1179.
Please feel free to download a printable PDF of this page for your convenience
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Remember, we are here for you!